History of the Committee
From the Committee's inception in 1908, when Ludshott Common was acquired by the National Trust, the Committee was responsible for the management of the Commons. The Committee employed a ranger, who was at that time known as a 'warden' . After the National Trust re-organised its management structure in the early 1990's, the management of the Common was then taken on by a team of National Trust rangers, who to this day work in consultation with the Committee to carry out conservation and management work on the Common. We are very proud to keep this important historical relationship going and allow local people to take an active part in the management of these special places.
As well as Ludshott Common, the rangers look after Waggoners Wells, the adjacent areas of Gentles Copse, Mt Alvernia Woods and Bramshott Chase (which is a small portion of Bramshott Common, the bulk of which is owned by the MoD), together with Passfield Common and Conford Moor.
Nearby, the rangers also have responsibility for Selborne Common, the parkland at Hinton Ampner near Alresford, and Uppark House and Garden near Petersfield, though the Committee has no jurisdiction with these sites.